Thursday, February 01, 2007

2007 - One down, Eleven to go

I have to admit, for once I was looking forward to a new year, wheareas, normally I really don't care. Normally it is just another day in this game called life. However, 2006 wasn't really my favorite year, so a meaningless change in the number of what we call "years" was a welcomed relief.

2006
Why wasn't 2006 the best year ever? First there is the global issues that plague this planet: North Korea going nuclear, Iran close behind, the ongoing Iraq struggle, and the seemingly increasing amount of terrorism or terrorism threats all across the globe.

Second, there were growing National problems across this great land. Multiple scandals in the U.S. Congress, a government that cares more about making the opposite party look bad than caring what the majority of the citizens want or think. There have been increasing amounts of protesting, over just about everything: gay rights, anti-gay rights, anti-war, illegal immigration, and my favorite protest, protesting at fallen soldier's funerals, basically saying "your son died in Iraq because we are allowing homosexuals to marry" classy. For the record, I hate protesters, find something better do to with you life.

Lastly, and more importantly, 2006 wasn't the best year for personal reasons. It started off with a bang, I wake up New Years morning to a death threat from a friend.....I knew it was going to be a good year after that. That soon followed with the death of my Grandpa. I turned 23, and according to Blink 182, no one likes you when you are 23. I was looking forward to St. Patty's day, however was sidelined from the festivities after an emergency appendectomy. Then summer came along. This was the first summer where work had to be my number one focus, not fun and drinking in the sun everyday. 2006 was my first full year of having a full time job, and it hurt watching many of my friends go out and have fun every night while I was left hearing about the stories. This was of course a major factor as to why I had to get out of Whitewater, and in May I moved out of town. Then in September, I go in for surgery #2, in which I finally fixed my SupraVentricular Tachycardia (heart procedure, yay). Add all that to the fact of going a full year without any significant relationships, and you have a mix for not all that great of a year.

Don't get me wrong, I still had a lot of fun last year, kickball 3peat, Cincinnatti, countless Brewers games, Denver and the double decker bus. Just now that I know how to manage fun with a work, it hopefully will be a great 2007 (that and finally most of my friends are all out of school and will have the normal partying days of Fri and Sat).




January 2007

One month in, and some things are different already. The voters spoke last November, and the Democrats were put in power. Starting in January they possibly passed more legislature in 2 weeks than was passed in the last 2 years, but let's see where this goes from here on out. President Bush, is forced to work in a more bi-partisan manner, something he has never had to do. It seems odd to hear that mistakes may have been made and that he is willing to listen to the opposition.

Saddam is officially gone, unless we spill the blood of the innocent Canadians and he comes back with Satan. However, unlike South Park, I think Saddam will be Satan's bitch, not the other way around.

Lastly, no death threats this New Years, Badgers basketball is en route to an amazing season (hopefully), and we are just a few days away from a possible 4-Peat Kickball championship....well, the drinking champions I should say. Lets make this a great year and lets do it month by month, next up is February. Tomorrow is Groundhog's Day, so make it a point to watch the Bill Murray classic because I am honestly more excited knowing that movie will be on than I am about the large rat seeing his shadow.

On a side note, I hope I do not relive tomorrow over and over again because I will be dealing with airport security and sitting on a long flight home.

No comments: