Tuesday, September 30, 2008

BREWERS ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS!

Some have waited 26 years for the Milwaukee Brewers to return to the post-season (last time in 1982). I respect those people, for I have only waited 25 years (my age), and one more year would have about drove me insane. True, I was certainly not hooting and hollering as an infant, for the Brewers at least, but I am a life long fan and have been waiting for this moment for a long, long time, as has a good majority of the state of Wisconsin.

Some of my favorite memories as a kid were going to County Stadium to watch the Brewers. This to me was my vacation, as I grew up on a dairy farm and we rarely were able to leave the farm for extended periods of time as constant work always needs to be done. But, 3-5 times a year, we would make the 2.5 hour adventure to east to Milwaukee. I remembered certain landmarks along the way, to know how close we were getting. I always enjoyed the 'Smiley Barn', which is now just red and sells Amish furniture in Delafield. I still gaze on that barn on get fond memories, as my sister and I always found it to be quite amusing to have a big bright yellow barn with a gigantic smiley face on it. The next landmark, was the Brookfield water tower off of I-94, the cylinder shaped one. That was when I knew we were just a few short miles from the wonderful County Stadium. Who would have thought I would end up living right smack in the middle of those landmarks!

I loved County Stadium, it was the only stadium I had ever known up to that point, so there was no way another stadium could be any better! Of course, there certainly were better, much better, stadiums, even at the time, but for my own nostalgia, I would beg to differ. I grew up idolizing Robin Yount, Paul Molitor, Jim Gantner, B.J. Surhoff, Dale Sveum, Greg Vaughn, Cal Eldred, Teddy Higuera, Dan Plesac...and many other throughout the late 80's and early 90's. They had a good team, and even with a couple 90+ wins seasons, with no Wild Card, the poor Brewers did not ever make the postseason.

Now, 2008, a whole new batch of Brewers, and things seemed to be falling apart yet again in September, as they had in August 2007. But, as we all know, they perservered, and sucked it up when they had to in order to clinc the wild card spot for the NL Playoffs. I will tell you that my emotions were all over the place. At first, jumping and clapping and hollering like a mad man...followed by me kneeling and clutching my hands to my mouth in utter disbelief as I watched the madness ensue on the field. I went to the game the day before, hoping to see them clinch then, but it wasn't to be. But, it was every bit as sweet watching it from my living room, just pure joy!

I will try to keep up with the Brewers in the postseason on the blog. Yesterday I went to the big rally, and I have a feeling that might come up.

LET'S GO BREWERS!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WHAT!!??? No mention of Nilly? David J Nillson my favorite brewer, the thunder from down under! Yes Don Majkowski was my favorite all time packer.